Sunday, July 2, 2017

A Compassionate Culture

I think if we just start taking care of each other, we will find ourselves evolving into a compassionate culture.

Instead of reacting with frustration, we can be more aware of little kindnesses we can do for each other and for people we do not even know.

In conversation with a graduate of a small town high school, a class of fifty-five people, I found he had fifty-five people that he knew well in his class.

My graduating class was ten times larger and I was friends with about six of them, although I knew lots more people.

It is easier to be involved with people you know, but I think it is time to make the circle of kindness a little bit larger.

Then when that becomes more comfortable, we can individually expand it a little more.

In my new small town existence, I was made aware of an older lady who hitch-hiked everywhere, so when I saw her waving me down as I approached the town where I had met her, I pulled over and gave her a ride to the laundromat.

On different occasions, several members of a quilting group have invited others to join us and they have.

Another friend plants a garden and gives most of the produce away, because he feels that because he can, he should support those who need it, and it starts the flow for his business.

The impersonal examples of different governments shows how public policy can be constructed.  

It can include and respect all people or it can be a competitive free-for-all.

I like the idea of moving in the direction to include and respect all people.

I am grateful that it can be done with more and more small individual kindnesses for a start.

© 2017 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment