Sunday, February 12, 2017

Serving the Community

As I build the expression of my identity, I invest more and more into my community.

The definition of “social business” is the benefit to the people who work in it and the people who are served by it.

All the income goes back to the business so it can serve more effectively.

The product of a collection of such businesses is the community it serves.

The large co-operative collective of Mondragon, Spain, illustrates the effectiveness of this practice.

This area has had the lowest unemployment rate for decades, since the mid-fifties, when it was started.

Whether the business is a sole proprietorship, a partnership, a corporation or a co-operative, it can be structured as a social business.

This kind of business does not have outside investors, except to get started.

The return on the investment is the return of the investment, with no additional interest.

Then the business is free to operate without concern for the share holders.

It can operate with full concern for the fulfillment of its purpose through its employees and the community it serves.

The profit from a social business is invested back into it.

As I build my business, I find I am most interested in how it can serve the community.

© 2017 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment