Thursday, February 15, 2018

My Creative Process

Many of my fabric projects are ready for their next step.

Somehow I like to accumulate them, acquiring the materials that are needed, and then begin to complete the next step.

When this happens and it is the last step, it is very exciting to have many projects get finished all at once.

During the middle stages, it may feel as though nothing is happening even though the stack of projects gets higher and higher.

Then, the energy shifts and it is time to take the next step on all the projects.

One of the things that this allows to happen is that my projects acquire more complexity and layers.

There might be more embellishment, or more handwork, or an extra border, or research and testing of different threads.

At any rate, I can not push the creative process because there is something that is improving and expanding the project that I cannot see yet.

When it is ready, I am moved to take the next step and the next and the next over whatever period of time is necessary to bring the project to maturity.

I am always delighted to discover what is revealed.

It is so much fun to see how each new addition affects the outcome.

There may be many twists and turns of design as one step influences the next and the next in a cascade of creativity.

As I start completing the next step, there is a sense of peacefulness that replaces the restlessness of the growing stack of projects.

And then the process begins all over again until they are all complete.

© 2018 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment