Thursday, November 14, 2019

Preparing a Feast

Sometimes, at a celebration, there is so much good food, that you want a taste of everything.  

Then you can return to the table for your favorites.

I am preparing a feast of ideas and strategies and techniques for you to try out and then you can choose which ones you want to incorporate into your own practice.

 My strategies address interrupting the cycle of traumatic memory.

In my own life, I suffered frequent debilitating panic attacks.

The first thing I discovered was the calming effect of drawing repetitious lines and figures.

I start with a topic as a title and create a “Meditation Drawing” around it.

Later, I write a meditation to go with the topic.

Since then, I have used many different strategies to interrupt my disturbing memories of events from the past.

I write for my blogs almost every day.

As I write, I can see what I am thinking about.

I can direct myself to a positive approach.

I create artsy backgrounds for original affirmations.

Working with colored pencils and watercolor creates a feeling of happiness which interrupts the replay of old memories.

I like to sew and knit and crochet.

The repetitious motion of simple stitching helps regulate my breathing while creating something beautiful.

I have joined several positive groups on Facebook, which allow me to give and to receive support.

I have devloped a vocabulary of self-talk which redirects and uplifts me.

These are some of the ideas and strategies which I look forward to sharing with other people who have the same need as I do.

We can create positive uplifting space for ourselves as we interrupt and disrupt the cycles of traumatic memory.

We can replace them with positive practices which help us move forward into the kind of freedom we desire.

© 2019 Kathryn Hardage

Your Diamond Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment